Another year come and gone

How is it already the last day of 2011? I swear, time goes faster the older you get. I used to think my mom was crazy when she used to say, "just wait, one day you'll wake up with a job, kids, and a house and wonder how in the hell you got there." Now I'm beginning to think she was right.

At the end of 2010 (ok, the first day of 2011) I did a post reviewing my entire year. You can read all about that here. And while I naively said "bring it on, 2011" I think I've made it through this year alright, crazy as it was!

Without further ado, here's a quick glance at my life in 2011. Never did I think I'd be where I am today, but never could I be happier for where 2012 is heading.

January was a pretty slow month. After the holiday insanity, we were glad to settle in to our new place. But settling into our place also meant dealing with the neighbors and their, er, oddities. Fortunately, they moved out a few months ago and we are very much enjoying not having to deal with downstairs neighbors. We'll see how long that lasts.

I turned 24 on the first day of February... nothing too exciting there. But a few weeks later I did have the honor of being a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding. I have known her since kindergarten and it was so amazing to be there on her special day. More than anything that weekend, I came to realize that after months of feeling like I was without a home, I had created a home with Brian.


 March was all about cars around here. After my car literally died on the side of the highway, Brian and I started the hunt for a new one. Before the month ended we had our brand new Subaru Forester. I learned to drive stick, and don't think I can ever go back to an automatic. Our beloved Subie now has almost 18,000 miles, and is a bit more broken in, but we are still in love. So much so that when Brian's truck almost died a few months later, we bought another Forester that we lovingly named Champ after the "champagne gold" color the dealership advertised. A few modifications later, and Champ is looking great!


In April, I finally had my very first Filofax Meet-Up, even though it was just me and fellow Filo Fanatic, Sandra. We had a blast, even though it was just the two of us. Not to mention she solidified my desire for the Crimson Malden, which became mine a few weeks later!


May was a month full of travel. Brian and I got to go to New York City, partially on a work trip for me. But since I work for a Museum, work trips are full of visiting some of the best sites to see! Our trip was also timed perfectly and I managed to attend my first official Philofaxy meet-up, where I got to meet the wonderful people behind some very wonderful blogs. Mr. Malden got in a bit of trouble during the trip, but he has since redeemed himself!


June was a pretty slow month, at least blogging wise. I spent a lot of time working two jobs, and rewarded myself with my lovely Rolleicord. I'd fallen in love with them in NYC, and stalked browsed eBay until I found one at the right price. I've had a lot of fun taking candid shots on it since.


July was a month of big changes for me. In addition to cutting off most of my hair, I realized that I needed to work toward becoming a better person, for my own health and for those around me. So I started my 8-flights, and while I can't deny that I still have my bad days, I truly believe they have helped me become a more positive, happy person. I also got to see my sister, brother-in-law, and nieces and nephew when they came in for a quick, 12 hour stay. Even though it was far too short, it was amazing to see them!


Initially, I was the most excited about our camping trip in August, then the next weekend Brian proposed! August was pretty much my favorite month this year, for obvious reasons. Give me camping and diamonds, and I'm a happy girl. Months later, I still can't believe that next year's review will include a wedding, but I'm super excited for every step of the way!


September was a month of mixed feelings. While I was happy to celebrate Frankie's fourth birthday (yes, I know he is a dog) I also faced the second anniversary of my mom's death. While I know these anniversaries will never get any easier, I am so thankful for the 22 years I spent with her and all the lessons she taught me along the way.


October was a month of big things, namely my promotion at work. Brian and I were also able to head to Florida to celebrate his cousin's wedding. We spent a lot of time with family, and it was an amazing trip. Later that month we celebrated the wedding of another of his cousins. Quite a busy month, but it was filled with fun, family, and the making of some amazing memories!


I blogged more than I ever have in November. It felt amazing to publish so many posts, and I hope I can continue the trend in 2012. November was also a month of family, as we celebrated Brian's sister's 21st birthday, and my brother came in to celebrate Thanksgiving from California.


This month has been another crazy month, between celebrating one full year of living together, our ten year anniversary, and all of the holiday craziness that seems to grow every year. But, we managed to get our Christmas decorations up, and even found a few seconds here and there to breathe and enjoy life. That's what it is really all about, in the end.


2012 is gearing up to be another crazy year. Between all of the increased responsibility of my promotion and planning my wedding (that still sounds so crazy!) I'm sure I'll be just as busy, if not more so, than I was last year. But, I made it through 2011, and I'm pretty confident that I can do the same in 2012. I just need to remember to breathe in and out, and take one step at a time. This next year will be full of challenges, but it will also be full of rewards, memories, and what I'm sure will be the best day of my life!

I wish you all a happy, safe, and healthy New Year. And as always, thank you for reading this past year- I hope you'll stick around to see what happens in my corner of the world for 2012!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,