It's a wonderful life

I never thought my life would lead me to where I am today. I guess that is a bit silly to say- I'm sure very few people out there ended up where they thought they would as a child. But out of all of the unexpected happenings in my life, the one that I am still the most surprised by, and thankful for, is having had Brian in my life for the last decade.


Ten years ago today, Brian shyly asked me to "go out" with him. It was the last day of school before Christmas break. I, of course, said yes. I had an insane crush on him, but was sure he'd realize he made a mistake and would break up with me before school started again in January. Now, as I'm sitting here typing this, I look down and see the beautiful ring he has given me, the start of planning the rest of our lives together. What an amazing ten years it has been.

I'm not saying that the last decade has been easy. We have fought, compromised, won, lost, laughed, screamed, cried. Ok, the screaming and crying might be more things that I have done. He has helped me through some of the hardest days of my life, and I have always made sure that he came home to a hug on a bad day. More than anything, we are there for each other. He is my soon-to-be husband, my lover, and my best friend. And as corny as it sounds, I really couldn't imagine a man I'd rather spend the rest of my life with. Remind me of that next time he drives me nuts...

For fun, I decided to dig out my journal from around the time Brian asked me out. A million entries leading up to today mentioned him, but all I wrote on December 21, 2001 at 5:06 p.m. (I was specific, ok?) was:

He asked me out!
I'll write more l8r!

Honestly, I was hoping for something a bit more eloquent, but then again, what can you expect from a 14-year-old?

I'm off to get ready for the date Brian is surprising me with, because obviously the ring wasn't enough. All of my friends tell me to shut up and let him spoil me, so I will!

But before I do, I just have to say...

I love you, Bri. Thank you, for everything...

Labels: