Whirlwind

So… we bought a house.

Shocking, right?! These last two days have been a whirlwind, to say the least. Here’s how it went down:

Wednesday, February 17

9:33 a.m. Received an email that a home matching our search parameters had come on the market.

1:50 p.m. Emailed our Realtor to let her know we would like to see it in the next few days, if possible. She said she could be available Friday at 9 a.m. and sent the disclosure on the house. She was reaching out to the seller’s agent to confirm time.

5:40 p.m. Our Realtor texted to let us know that the house already had a lot of interest and asked if we would be able to meet at 8:30 a.m. Thursday (tomorrow) instead since the seller’s agent said she couldn’t guarantee it would still be on the market Friday. Set appointment.

Thursday, February 18

8:30 a.m. Saw the home and really, really liked it.

9:00 a.m. Discussed everything on our way home. Realized that we really liked the home - it needs a bit of work in the basement and to finish the attic, but the main living space is great. We knew it would go quick since there was another group coming for a showing as we were leaving. 

9:55 a.m. Sent a text to our Realtor that we wanted to put in an offer!

9:56 a.m. - 3:22 p.m. Dozens of emails and phone calls with our Realtor and lender regarding the offer. Completed the offer paperwork and signed.

3:23 p.m. Our offer was submitted to the seller’s agent.

3:24 - 4:29 p.m. Waiting and waiting. Longest hour ever.

4:30 p.m. The seller countered - but only on the closing date. Turns out the date they wanted works better for us anyway. Our Realtor got started on revising the paperwork. We got the house!

5:15 p.m. I dropped the earnest money off at our Realtor’s office. 

6:32 p.m. Received amended paperwork from our Realtor.

6:43 p.m. All paperwork signed and submitted to our Realtor!

7:12 p.m. Our Realtor has all paperwork and earnest money. She dropped off the packet off at the seller’s agent. The offer is officially accepted!

Crazy, crazy few days. We are still a bit nervous - we don’t have the inspection yet. Last time we did this (in Chicago), it was all excitement until the inspection came back with horrible results. But we’re hopeful. I’ve already scheduled the inspection for first thing Monday morning, so at least we won’t have long to wait. 

I still can’t believe how crazy this market is. It seems like we’ve moved at warp speed, but by the time we had submitted the offer, the seller’s agent had already asked how serious we were about our offer since she had received multiple inquiries. It sounds like the seller’s agent actually told the sellers that they could wait and see what other offers came in. Thankfully, they liked that our offer was clean and ready to go - hooray for us! At the end of the day, if we hadn't put in the offer we did, when we did, the house would have been sold by Friday. Insanity.

So, keep your fingers crossed for us! The inspection is Monday, and I’m still waiting to hear back from a sewer company on an inspection of the sewer lines, but we should have a much better idea of how successful this house hunting journey will be by the end of next week. If all goes according to plan, we’ll go to closing on April 29, then the house is ours! 

Stay tuned…

Labels: ,