This recipe was shared with me by a co-worker who makes them for her kids all summer long. We may not have kids in the house, but with a major sweet tooth and a pretty sweet sale on strawberries, I couldn’t resist!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 box graham crackers
- 1 carton strawberries
- 1 container low fat Cool Whip
- mini chocolate chips (optional, but you should definitely add them :)
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
1. Chop up the strawberries.* Fold in the chocolate chips, if using. If you want these to be even sweeter, you could add a bit of sugar to the berries before the next step - we liked them as is.
2. Fold in the Cool Whip, making sure to not mash the berries. It will turn the Cool Whip pink - these would be perfect for a little girl birthday party!
3. Break your graham crackers apart and carefully put a dollop of the filling on one side, then stick another graham cracker on top. Squeeze gently and just scrape off any excess. Lay them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
4. Freeze for about an hour or so, then you can transfer to a large zip top bag, or wrap each one individually. We put ours in a zip top and the seem to be doing just fine!
5. And enjoy! I broke it down - each one of these little sandwiches has about 136 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 11 of sugar - not too bad for dessert! I would recommend pulling them from the freezer a few minutes before you plan to eat them though - the texture is a bit off when they are frozen solid!
*The only thing I would do different next time would be to chop the berries smaller - it was a bit challenging to make sure they were all stuffed into the sandwiches. That, and maybe try the chocolate graham crackers for an extra chocolatey flavor! Regardless, these are just perfect as is!
Labels: Cooking, From the Recipe Box