From the Recipe Box: Lemony Garlic Shrimp and Grits

My apologies for the lack of posts over the weekend - the end of last week and the weekend were quite crazy with Brian and I working completely opposite schedules (i.e. his shift of Saturday was from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. while mine was from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.) So, whenever I wasn’t working, I was doing my best to spend what little free time I had with him.

Thankfully, we had one night last week to sit down and eat dinner together. And since it was my night off, I seized the opportunity to grab another recipe from the to try section of the recipe binder and see if it would make the cut to our “favorites” section.

This was another Food Network Magazine find. It sounded pretty tasty, and after one bite we knew it would be bumped up into our regular menu rotation. 



Here’s what you’ll need:


Here’s what you’ll need to do:
  1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in the grits, adding a pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, about five minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and one tablespoon butter. Remove from heat and season with additional s+p if needed. Cover to keep warm.
  2. Season the shrimp with s+p. Melt remaining butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, garlic and cayenne* and cook, tossing, about 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp are pink. Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley, stirring to coat the shrimp. Season with additional s+p if necessary.
  3. To serve, divide grits among bowls and top with shrimp and sauce. Garnish with additional parsley if desired. 


*We didn’t have any cayenne on hand, so I added a bit of Cholula, our favorite hot sauce. I’m sure any hot sauce would work in this recipe!

Labels: ,