From the Recipe Box: Heathy Banana Oat "Cookies"

Brian and I have been working hard to stay healthy this year. While we typically eat pretty well, we both have a sweet tooth and are notorious for poor portion control. Not to mention I love to bake, which is never helpful when trying to reduce a waistline. 

Fortunately, the new year means that a bajillion other folks are also trying to be healthy, which means there are new healthy recipes galore popping up all over the Internet. I found this one a few weeks ago and finally tried it out this week. They were a bit basic, so I think next time I’ll add a bunch of chopped apples, dates, and pecans. But as a pretty healthy snack with no added sugar, dairy, or eggs, I think these might be my new little kitchen experiment! I can already picture all of the tasty things that could be added to this basic cookie.


Here’s what you’ll need:


Here’s what you’ll need to do:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. 
  2. Mash the bananas well (I used a mixer, but this whole recipe could probably be done by hand). 
  3. Add the applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon, mixing well. Stir in oats. 
  4. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes, then drop onto a cookie sheet. I used our muffin top pans and they came out really well!
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. 

The best thing about these is how much healthier they are than traditional banana bread. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll definitely still be making the good stuff from time to time, but these “cookies” definitely cause a bit less guilt every time I grab one. Check it out for yourself (nutrition facts are per batch):


Now I just have to come up with a bunch of modifications. I’m thinking apples and nuts, dried papaya and coconut, or even cocoa nibs and coconut!


What do you think would be a great addition?

Labels: , ,