From the Recipe Box: Insanely Easy Crockpot Mexican Chicken


Before I get into this incredibly easy and amazing recipe, I wanted to point out a little change you may have noticed in the title above. Instead of Recipe of the Week, I'm now calling any recipes I share with you "From the Recipe Box." My reasoning is simple: I suck at making sure I have a recipe each week to share with you. With this shiny new title, I can share recipes as they come to me, whether that's once a month, once a week, or once a day. But don't worry, you can still find all the old ROTW in the label found in the sidebar. Or, for the really lazy, just click here.


Back to scheduled programming...

This recipe came out of my head and into my Crockpot simply because I was looking for a healthy, simple Mexican recipe that was different from the tacos/quesadillas/fajitas that I usually make.

Et voila!


Ok, that may have been too much of a close up, but let me tell you - this made up dinner was amazing! Actually, I'm eating leftovers for lunch as I write this :)

Here's what you'll need:


{I know the above looks complicated, but this is really as simple as it gets, promise...}

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Toss the chicken breasts into the Crockpot. Cover with diced green chilis and salsa. Make sure the chicken is fully submerged.
  2. Set the Crockpot on low for about 8 hours. It was honestly probably done way before the 8 hours was up, but that's the soonest I could get home. 
  3. Shred the chicken. By the time I got home, I couldn't even take the chicken out of the Crockpot with tongs since it was so tender. So I just kind of smooshed it all up in the Crockpot with the tongs. This is where you can add your frozen corn and black beans. Continue heating until the beans and corn are fully to temperature, making sure to stir everything together.
  4. That's it! Like I said, we served this over Mexican style rice last night (topped with cheese and Greek yogurt), but I'm already thinking the leftovers would make amazing nachos or tacos! 
Is this something you'd try at home? If so, I'd love to know how you served it!

Labels: ,