It's (Not) Beginning to Feel a Lot Like Christmas

Christmas is just over a week away. Although I know that by looking at the calendar and at the ever-growing pile of presents I've wrapped and placed beneath the tree, I can't help but feel that this year is lacking the Christmas-sy mood. Even though I just dropped these in the mail today...


And even though we have a beautiful tree, and I've mailed the presents to out-of-towners, and I'm preparing my Christmas menu, etc, etc- the Christmas vibe still isn't quite here. I think it's because outside looks like this:


See what is missing? Yep, NO SNOW. Now, as much as I don't like commuting in the stuff, I'm a born and bred Chicagoan who knows how to handle some serious winter powder. So I'm more than a bit depressed that I haven't seen a single snowflake this year. I heard we got some around Chicago, but I never saw it. Instead, it is warm, grey and cruddy. Yes, I'm complaining that it is warm. Remind me of that when I'm bitching because it's too cold in February.

I think the bigger problem is that this is the second year in a row where we haven't had a "real" winter. And for someone who has experienced a fair share of white Christmases, snow signifies the holiday season.

I'm hoping that as this week progresses, the holiday mood will take over. Between my work Christmas party, a pretty heavy baking schedule, final present wrapping, and family parties to attend, I think I'll be out of my holiday funk soon. Fingers crossed.

What about you guys? Are you feeling the holiday vibe? Can you believe we're just over a week away? Do you have snow? If so, I'm coming over to play :)

Labels: ,