How do I get myself into this stuff?

I am not a runner. I used to be a runner. I would zip through cross country courses and fly through the 200-meter dash. But that was back in junior high and high school, which was over a decade ago. Which is scary to even think about.

Regardless, I am not a runner. Granted, I did go running a few times in February, with every intention of keeping up with it. But you know how it is... it got cold again, I got busy, and there goes running. I guess I can be considered as someone who can run (very, very short distances), but that is about it. So, tell me how I got myself involved in this:


Any ideas? Anyone? Alright, I'll go ahead and tell you. I blame Brian. You see, he was feeling fat and lazy this weekend (his words, not mine) so he decided to go for a run. He's even less of a runner than me (well, he never really was one to begin with) so I was pretty shocked. The boy can do pretty much any sport under the sun, but he has always hated running. So, I didn't think much of it, assuming that he would go out once and remember how much he dislikes it.

Imagine my surprise when, last night on the way to interview a DJ company, he starts a conversation with, "So, now that I'm getting into this whole running thing..."

I'm not gonna lie, when my brain registered the first part of this sentence I was pretty peeved. You're getting into this whole running thing? Running is my thing, I thought, even though I did it about four times. Last month. Still.

Fortunately, I let him finish his sentence and I'm glad I did. Because he ended with something along the lines of "I was thinking that we should register for a 5K together." Which, in my opinion, is pretty darned awesome. Until he mentioned that the race he wants us to register for is on April 21st. Yep, that's just under 25 days. Now, I can run a mile pretty easily these days, maybe a mile and a half. But I'm pretty sure I'd keel over if I tried to pass a two mile mark. I'm friggen nervous.

But, I've done crazier things in my life, so I figure I can handle this too. I may very well cross over the finish line and pass out, but hey, what's that they say? If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger? Yeah, remind me of that when I have to sleep in my car after the race because I can't climb the stairs to my apartment.

In all seriousness, I am really excited about this race. I am a super competitive and goal driven person, so I'm pretty sure that if Brian hadn't thought of this I never would have actually continued running. But now that I've paid my registration fee, you can damn well count on me being on that starting line. At 9 a.m. on a Saturday.

Another driving force is the whole purpose behind the race. As you can see from the pic above, it is called the DuPage Human Race (how punny). Basically, about two dozen DuPage County charities are participating, and when each runner signs up they get to choose which organization will receive their sponsorships and donations. I chose the DuPage County Convalescent Center, an incredible organization that provides long term and short term rehabilitative care to DuPage County residents in need. I used to volunteer there, so I know firsthand how well they use their resources to support residents. I can't think of much better motivation to get myself into shape.

And here's where I'm going to shamelessly throw in a plug. PLEASE do not feel at all obligated- the last thing I want is for my readers to feel like I am throwing them a sales pitch. But, if you want to and/or can, please consider joining my fundraising page. Any amount is utterly appreciated, and I can guarantee that it is going to an organization who deserves nothing less. The whole thing is set up through a well established and secure site, so you can go right there to donate instead of worrying where your money will end up.

If you can and want to donate, please click HERE. If you can't or don't want to, thank you for at least taking the time to read my blog and put up with my ramblings. Plus, I'll take all the support you can give in the comments- I think I'm going to need it!!!

Labels: , ,