Yep, you read that right! This ROTW may seem a bit unconventional, but I promise that it's delicious!
Here's what you'll need:
- A slow cooker/Crock Pot
- About 5lbs of pork loin (make sure to get loin, NOT tenderloin. You need the extra bit of fat to make it super tasty!)
- A dry rub mix, aka, SPICES! I personally use a blend of chili powder, steak seasoning, seasoned salt, and garlic powder
- 2 liter bottle of root beer
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- Buns, bread, or whatever else you want to eat pulled pork on!
Here's what you need to do:
1. Cut the pork loin in half. Trim off the majority of fat (most fat is usually found on one side). Season GENEROUSLY with your dry rub of choice. Remember, you are cooking the pork in a sweet soda- you may want to go bolder on the seasonings than you normally would.
2. Put the halves into the slow cooker and pour root beer over pork until almost covered. Set the cooker for 10 hours on low.
3. After 9 or so hours, CAREFULLY use tongs/a spatula to remove the cooked pork. It went in as two pieces, but I guarantee it will come out in many more- it's so tender it falls apart! Put the pork on a cutting board and use a fork to shred.
4. After shredding (or ask someone to do this while you're shredding) dump the remaining root beer out of the Crock Pot. Then, return the pork to the pot and add your favorite BBQ sauce. My favorite is Jack Daniel's Original No. 7. Put the pot back onto a 'keep warm' or low setting, and let it come back up to temperature. Then, enjoy!
Like many of my favorite recipes, this can be used in so many different leftovers! My favorites so far are using it on pizza, and last night's dinner- pulled pork nachos!
Labels: From the Recipe Box, ROTW